On Tuesday the 7th of May, Aged Care leaders and industry influencers gathered to discuss solutions to the challenges caused by NZ’s rapidly increasing elderly population at Challenging the Norm 2019.
Together with keynote speakers Deborah Harrison, Dr. Lance O’Sullivan and Jack Crutzen, we discussed key challenges facing the Aged Care sector including health and safety, compliance, care staff shortages, demand for more complex care and cultural diversity.
This was not just another “talkfest.” Delegates were challenged to think differently and take action to help solve these challenges so that we can all enjoy a “better later life.”
What did we learn?
1. We learned that Single handed care is possible to implement in New Zealand Aged care organisations.
It is legal and it provides many benefits including:
- Personalised care/person centered care
- Enhanced safety of care staff and residents
- Less invasive
- More dignified and respectful care
- Care staff get to spend more time doing what they do best – caring for residents
Although single-handed care requires an investment in the right equipment, expertise and training, payback on your investment can be achieved in as little as 3 years.